Saturday 18 June 2011

Osteoarthritis



Osteoarthritis causes pain and stiffness in joints.
Symptoms may be helped by exercises, physiotherapy, and losing weight if you are overweight.
Regular paracetamol will often ease symptoms. Other medicines are sometimes advised.
Joint replacement surgery is an option for severe cases.
Arthritis means inflammation of the joints. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis in the UK . OA mainly affects the joint cartilage and the bone tissue next to the cartilage.

Symptoms

  • Pain, stiffness, and limitation in full movement of the joint are typical. The stiffness tends to be worse first thing in the morning but tends to loosen up after half an hour or so.
  • Swelling and inflammation of an affected joint can sometimes occur.
  • An affected joint tends to look a little larger than normal due to overgrowth of the bone next to damaged cartilage.
  • Deformities of joints due to OA are uncommon.
  • You may have poor mobility if a knee or hip is badly affected.
  • No symptoms may occur. Quite a number of people have X-ray changes that indicate some degree of OA but have no, or only very mild, symptoms. The opposite can also be true. That is, you may have quite severe symptoms but with only minor changes seen on the X-ray.

Treatment

General measures
  • Exercise - If possible, exercise regularly to strengthen the muscles around affected joints and to maintain joint movement. Swimming is ideal for most joints, but any exercise is better than none. Many people can manage a regular walk. It is thought that physical activity gives some protection against ongoing disease and disability.
  • Try to lose excess weight as the extra burden placed on back, hips, and knees can make symptoms worse. Even a modest amount of weight loss can make quite a difference.
  • Walking aids or shoe insoles may ease the burden on affected joints and ease symptoms.
  • Warmth - If you keep affected joints warm it may help to ease stiffness and pain.
  • Physiotherapy - may be useful for advice on exercises and other treatments. For example:
- Exercises to strengthen the muscles above the knee (quadriceps) are usually advised for OA of the knee. Strengthening the 'quads' has been shown to improve symptoms.
-  Advice on how to keep active and fit and how to use walking aids properly. If you use a walking aid properly, it can take the weight off joints and help to ease symptoms.
Other pain relieving treatments may be advised. For example, a physiotherapist may apply sticky tape to the knee in a way which 'pulls' on the knee inwards. This can ease the pain from OA of the knee.
  • Occupational therapy - may be advised if you need aids or modifications to your home to cope with any disability caused by OA.  

2 comments:

Rose Jurgen said...

Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
  My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
   

eldercare said...

Nice post! This post gives a better idea. Thanks for the useful information about Osteoarthritis
treatment and symptoms. I hope you will share some more content. Please keep sharing!
Best Physiotherapist In Chennai

Post a Comment